Thursday, June 6, 2013

Humanitarian Training

This week of our MTC training is focusing on our Humanitarian training.
The purpose of Church humanitarian work is to:1) relieve suffering, 2) foster self-reliance for people of all nationalities and religions, and 3) provide opportunities for service.

On Monday, June 3, 2013 we went to Welfare Square for a short tour and training.
The couples that are taking the Humanitarian Training are: Elder and Sister Lasson who are going to the Asia Area office in Hong Kong and will be our direct supervisors. Brother and Sister Lyon who are going to Geneva Switzerland and will be liaisons to the United Nations representing the Church and our Humanitarian Interests. Brother and Sister Redling going to Armenia , us, and Brother and Sister Westwood going to Montenegro.



Even though we toured a Bishops Storehouse we learned more importantly that each branch, ward and stake has access to the Lord's storehouse.  The Lord's storehouse are the resources within each ward or branch. Those resources include the ward members, their time, abilities, and resources that they can share with others.  It is amazing what we can do when we work together and help each other.
Some of the principles that I learned and thought were significant are:
  • We find purpose in following Christ's example of kindness, generosity and service to the poor and needy.  Love must be our motive.
  • All people can grow, act to solve problems and gain knowledge and skills.
  • Work is essential.
  • Giving things is rarely a solution-only increasing knowledge, skill and capacity is sustainable
  • The poor are able to help the poor.
  • Our most powerful contributions are non-monetary.
  • Outsider's solutions to local problems are rarely effective.
  • There is dignity, ownership and respect when beneficiaries participate in solving and working out their own problems
  • Allowing receivers to find solutions and work together  is the most important outcome.

By the way, we still DO NOT HAVE OUR VISAS! 
We are kind of disappointed but all we can do is pray and ask for the Lord's intervention on our behalf.  I guess I am suppose to learn patience.  

Scripture for the week: Matthew: 25:35-40
35 For I was an hungered and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave the drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I way unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment